• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 4 days ago

Hi

I have just digipeated again successfully via a local ground digipeater and seen it reported via aprs.fi so all fine there. Path reported looks like this.
    M0KKA-7>5QRYVP via MB7UG*,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,ARISS,qAR,G0PEB-1

Do you think for sats I should delete the WIDE entries and just leave ARISS ?

Cheers

Cris
    M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks Jerry

I will give it a try. Did you have WIDEn-n in your path or should I delete them for now do you think?

Cris

M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks Jerry

Cris

M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 4 days ago

I had terrible trouble getting digipeated or replied to from ISS until my path included RS0ISS. I do not know why. I am using a Kenwood TH-D72A. My path is now : RS0ISS, ISS, ARISS. Give this a try and see if it works. I am told the ARISS along is enough but I have not had success with that alone - not sure if I have something set wrong in my settings but I did have to put in RS0ISS for it to work.

Jerry W8LR

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 5 days ago

ARISS on it's own is the correct path for both ISS and PSAT, it works fine on my TH-D72 and TH-D74 handies also with UISS with TS-2000.

Do you know someone near you that can monitor your aprs packets to make sure your digi path setting is correct.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 5 days ago
    Hi

Many thanks.

I can see myself being digipeated via terrestrial digipeaters so I know it works but just can't seem to get to PSAT or ISS. I have set memmory channels for UHF ISS as suggested to counter Doppler effect also.

Just can't finger it out. Rx is fine and even seen G7HCE via PSAT... Going over the settings and all looks fine with selection of the path as ARISS or would PSAT work better and would it need an SSID like -1 after ARISS or PSAT?

Home qth is a bit of a hole in the ground for vhf and uhf but even on an overhead pass I struggle.. The only time I did get some success was on a quarter wave wip high on the Berkshire downs walking the dog and got a message back from PSAT and an OE station.

I know the Elk antenna works as I have had FM contacts via SO-50 and the same radio.

Keep trying cifferent things I guess but if there is anyone out there that uses a vs 8r that can confirm settings then please do.

Cheers

Cris
    M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   39 weeks 5 days ago

Hi Chris

I have no experience of the Yaesu VX-8R but if you have the max 5watts output, GPS turned on and are able to manually beacon local terrestrial aprs then it should work for ISS and PSAT by changing simply the digipeater path only to ARISS and make sure you have that path selected for both ISS and PSAT and you should see you are being digipeated. Then you will need to be heard by an IGATE station to forward it to the internet aprs network to be seen on http://www.ariss.net
    Use free version of Orbitron or similar satellite software to see when and where to point the Elk antenna.
    Is there anyway you can monitor what you are sending with another aprs radio or software to see what is being transmitted which would help if you still can't digipeated.?

ISS uhf packet digipeater has just been turned on again as it's been off for a few days but is not quite so easy to use as vhf and you will need Doppler correction of +- 10khz around 437.550mhz. Patrick has ISS pre-set memory settings shown here. https://twitter.com/WD9EWK
    PSAT (NO-84) is much easier to use on 145.825Mhz and should be able beacon very easy with the Elk antenna. Have just beaconed myself at 2.6-deg over Exeter using Kenwood TH-D74 HT + Arrrow-2 antenna and shows how easily it is to work this satellite at very low elevation.

• Yaesu VX-8GE / Digipath / APRS via ISS   39 weeks 6 days ago

Hi

Did you have any success? I am trying to get my VX 8R to work but just not working.

The path settings are for the first two places set to WIDEx-x and so for the 3rd I have ARISS. when trying to work PSAT or ISS I select the ARISS path but no joy.

Think you have the newer version but they should work the same way.

Cris
    M0KKA

• ISS not heard past 3 days 3/4/2017   40 weeks 11 hours ago

Thanks for the info. What I have been reading about VHF, (I'm new to working the ISS), is that on VHF there were so many unattended stations that it was very difficult to even make a contact with a live operator. I hope that this does not reoccur on VHF when it is back up an operational.

Again, Thanks for the info

Jerry W8LR

• ISS not heard past 3 days 3/4/2017   40 weeks 14 hours ago

Hi Jerry,

Ericsson VHF handheld radio used for ARISS school contacts and packet digipeater failed and was swapped out with the identical Ericsson UHF radio which was already stowed on the ISS currently used on 437.550Mhz packet digipeater. This radio is located in the Columbus module along with the HamTv video transmitter and both used together for the ARISS school contacts when supported by HamTv video on 437.525Mhz.
    Kenwood D710E radio supporting SSTV and VHF ARISS school contacts is located in the Russian segment and is currently being used when not supported by HamTv video on 145.800Mhz.
    Once the VHF radio is swapped out with the UHF radio things will return to normal again. ARISS team are looking to replace these radios near end of year with Kenwood TM-D710GA.

• ISS not heard past 3 days 3/4/2017   40 weeks 15 hours ago

I was wondering if they are in the process of installing the new VHF rig but I do not know why that would effect the UHF rig. I thought they were in different modules and the UHF digipeater could keep operating while the VHF radio was installed. Hope it is back on soon.

Jerry
    W8LR

• ISS not heard past 3 days 3/4/2017   40 weeks 19 hours ago

Could it be that the crew are using the supporting power supply for experiments as they are posting several on twitter over past days.?
    'All radios will be turned off on Feb. 22 while the supporting power supply is being used for an experiment' shown on ariss.org site.
    ISS digi was still active on this date and following days. Could it be the late arrival of Dragon delayed that experiment.?

Not sure it would take days to swap out Ericsson handheld vhf and uhf radios being like-for-like once crew find the time.

• ISS not heard past 3 days 3/4/2017   40 weeks 19 hours ago

We know that they have to swap from UHF to VHF with the new Ericsson transceiver. Perhaps they are doing this.

Raf IZ0QWM
    SysOp of IR0UGN

• ISS Radio Report   40 weeks 4 days ago

Hi

This is my reception of the contact heard over Exeter today 01/03/2017 08:06 UTC with THD-74E HT + Arrow-2 antenna.

• Packet Radio VHF frequency soon back !   40 weeks 5 days ago

Latest news regarding the VHF radio replacement for Columbus module posted on twitter 02/28/2017.

• Packet Radio VHF frequency soon back !   41 weeks 1 day ago

Cant wait :-)

• Packet Radio VHF frequency soon back !   41 weeks 2 days ago

Me like!! This is good news.

73 de SA0BSV

• 23 feb contact with 2 schools in France !   41 weeks 3 days ago

The event has been rescheduled for 13:12 UTC on Saturday, February 25.

• ISS Radio Report   41 weeks 3 days ago

Postponed.

This is due to the arrival of the Dragon-Space X ship to the ISS.

• 23 feb contact with 2 schools in France !   41 weeks 3 days ago
    re

yes.... arrived the NEW vhf ericsson radio abord in the COLUMBUS module !

The ARISS contact with Ecole primaire Elie Desplan, Boissieres and Marie Castang, Saint Dionisy, France, which was scheduled for Thursday February 23 at 08:31 UTC , has been cancelled. The contact will be rescheduled for a later date.

73 de IW2BSF Rudy

• 23 feb contact with 2 schools in France !   41 weeks 4 days ago

The French contact for Feb 23 is having to be rescheduled due to impacts from unsuccessful berthing of the Space X vehicle on Feb 22. Stay tuned for updated info.

• 19 feb : NEW Ericsson VHF radio on ISS !   41 weeks 4 days ago

Hi!

The new Ericsson VHF radio is not yet aboard the ISS. It looks like the scheduled docking of the Dragon has been pushed back a day, to Thursday (23 February). Even after Dragon docks, it has to be unloaded, and then the radio will have to be installed in the Columbus module on whatever schedule the crew is working under. It could happen quickly, which would be nice for hams on the ground, or it might take some time. Patience is key...

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    Twitter: @WD9EWK

• 19 feb : NEW Ericsson VHF radio on ISS !   41 weeks 5 days ago

Brilliant news for both schools contact and packet digipeater.

I'm told that Dragon is not yet docked with ISS and vhf radio is not yet installed.?

• 23 feb contact with 2 schools in France !   41 weeks 6 days ago

Ericsson VHF handheld radio has failed and been replaced by Ericsson UHF handheld radio and is located with Ham Video transmitter (HamTv) being used for the ARISS contact in the Columbus module.

• 23 feb contact with 2 schools in France !   41 weeks 6 days ago
    UHF

Hello Rudy,

any idea why this contact will be in UHF rather than on the good old VHF 145.800, far more easier to listen to with little gear/antenna ?

Thank you.