• Russian Cosmonaut Day (12 April)   32 weeks 9 hours ago

No Russian ham activity currently on the short term schedule out through April 24.

• ISS Radio Report 42675   32 weeks 12 hours ago

Athens-Palaio Faliro-Greece

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   32 weeks 5 days ago

Hi!

G7HCE's post beat mine by a few seconds. I wrote that document on the AMSAT web site, and it does not mention using two VFOs in any radio, but to program a group of memory channels. G7HCE also added some information specific for your radio, so you can get it working with the ISS packet on 437.550 MHz until things change back to 145.825 MHz.

Have you tried just listening to the ISS packet as the station passes over you? Start at 437.560 MHz early in the pass, then tune down and end up on 437.540 MHz near LOS. How well do you copy the packets? Make sure you use the VFO that is the data band in your TM-D710.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    Twitter: @WD9EWK

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   32 weeks 5 days ago

Hi

You need to use free Kenwood MCP-6A programming software for editing memory channels and make sure the box is ticked to use the Split Channel function when editing the memory channel for Receive and Transmit frequencies. Set each memory channel as per Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK shown in previous post.

Use Data Band A (default) Menu 601. Set DCD SENSE to IGNORE DCD and open the squelch fully to hear weak signals. Packet Path set to Others and Path: ARISS
    Enable GPS so it's blinking. Set Beacon to Manual and press beacon button to transmit your GPS beacon.

Omnidirectional antenna is poor on UHF and is best when passes are below 30-deg and unusable for overhead passes.

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   32 weeks 5 days ago

Hello, I have had the same problem to detect the ISS. I programmed for each PM, the frequency of Rx in A and Tx in B, as explained in

I also defined the DATABAND as A: Rx B: Tx, in menu 601 for each PM.
    But I still can not hear the ISS !!

I'm using a 5.5dB omnidirectional antenna and the TM-D710. I would like to know how was the APRS configuration with which you detected the ISS.

• HamTV - NEWS april 2017   32 weeks 6 days ago

HamTV Status

In principle, the HamVideo DATV transmitter is permanently transmitting from Columbus, the European ISS module. The camera is not activated. These so-called “blank transmissions” are used by ground stations for fine tuning their setup.

For different reasons, blank transmissions must be interrupted now and then.

Scheduled “power downs” are published here.

HamVideo is presently in Blank Transmission mode.

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   33 weeks 5 days ago

ISS Packet Radio currently UHF 437.550 Mhz

ISS radio to be swapped out and returned to VHF 145.825 Mhz tweeted from RF2Space

It takes 30 minutes of scheduled time for the swap vs. 5 min. for the power on. Should get swapped by middle of April.

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   33 weeks 5 days ago

I guess I got it figured out! I was using 437.550 without the Doppler correction that I am now aware of...I have a lot to learn about APRS! Thanks for the report and the encouragement!

Steve KA1OWC

• ISS on Kenwood D710 - Help!   34 weeks 3 days ago

Hi!

I saw KA1OWC on the ISS pass around 0245 UTC this evening (Monday 27 March, on the UTC clock). You figured out the path needed for the ISS digipeater to retransmit your packets, and I saw your position packets on my TH-D74A HT here in Arizona. You can see a picture of my HT's screen with your call sign and location at:

Were you only operating on 437.550 MHz, or did you have a group of memory channels programmed as listed in this AMSAT document:

I was using H0UND (H-zero-UND) as my "call sign" on that pass, with my WD9EWK call in the comment sent with my position packets. My greyhound was out in the yard during that pass, so I use that "call" when she is around. Did you copy those packets, or see anything else coming back from the ISS on that pass?

Until the ISS crew puts a VHF radio in place and turns it on, we'll have ISS packet on UHF for a while longer. How long - nobody knows, or nobody is saying when the change will be made.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    Twitter: @WD9EWK

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   34 weeks 3 days ago

Yes something not working properly in the Yaesu. Still its old and even a factory reset has not corrected it.
    Good contact today via PSAT. Fun stuff. Must add a few more phrases to use.
    ISS is getting ealier and may make an effort tonight to try it.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   34 weeks 4 days ago
    Re:

Hope you are feeling better now. Yes something not quite right with the Yaesu somewhere.

Managed to receive your ack0 today during qso on PSAT NO-84 at 11:05UTC so at least you tHD72 is working well.

20170325110643 : G7HCE-7]APK004,PSAT,ARISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6::M0KKA-7 :QSL and 73's via PSAT{1
    20170325110603 : M0KKA-7]APK003,PSAT,ARISS*,WIDE1-1,qAR,G7HCE-6::G7HCE-7 :ack0
    20170325110532 : G7HCE-7]APK004,PSAT,ARISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6::M0KKA-7 :Hi from IO80gr via PSAT - TH-D74{0
    20170325110518 : G7HCE-7]UP4RXV,PSAT,ARISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6:`y9'l#0K\]Around Exeter IO80gr via PSAT --- TH-D74^
    20170325110510 : M0KKA-7]UQRYVP,PSAT,ARISS*,WIDE1-1,qAR,G7HCE-6:`w44l!qK\]73 DE M0KKA CRIS IO91=

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   34 weeks 6 days ago

Well done. I didn't make it as I have been a little ill this week and not up to the usual service..

Might have worked out the issue with the Yaesu. It's a bit flakey and will only tx with ARISS as the path with the call sign set with no SSID. Even then it seems to not emit a signal even with a full meter deflection and a red tx status light in manual setting.

Used the D72 to monitor it and sure enough the first ID was ARISS..

Cris

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 4 hours ago

First workable pass for a while and just beaconed ISS RS0ISS uhf digipeater over Exeter 22:33UTC 28-deg pass with THD74 HT+ Arrow-2 antenna.

20170322223500 : G7HCE-7]UP4RXV,RS0ISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6:`y9'l#!K\]Hi from Exeter --- TH-D74 + Arrow-2 ant^
    20170322223425 : IR0UGN-1]APEG03,RS0ISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6:=/90C,Qc3x` BJN62JE SGate via ISS-PSAT
    20170322223354 : RS0ISS]CQ,qAR,G7HCE-6:]ARISS - International Space Station
    20170322223344 : G7HCE-7]UP4RXV,RS0ISS*,qAR,G7HCE-6:`y9'l#!K\]Around Exeter IO80gr via ISS --- TH-D74^

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 7 hours ago

Yep got the GPS coordinates set manually on the Yaesu but its menu system is very different to the Kenwood. In the Yaesu you have 8 slots to enter the path. When seen on the aprs.fi it shows the path commer seperated with the slots in order 1 to 8 or however many are filled. First 2 have the WIDE in them by default. After that you can enter anything you like but even delleting all entries and just adding ARISS in slot 1 has not got a result. I have tried many combinations in the 8 slots without success. As you know the Kenwood allows you to edit a path as you wish commer seperted and its really clear what path has been set. When I get a moment I will use the D72 to monitor and see what its doing.

Yet to try ISS but do have the 70cm frequencies in the memories with offset for tx / rx as suggested. Will have a look for a path that suits to give it a try. Will be nice when they get it back on 2m and not have to worry about Doppler.

I liked packet as it was and had fun with that. Never really gave aprs a look as couldn't see the point in just sending a position report locally but sms type message and position messages via sats does interest me to combine with my like of walking and wild camping over Dartmoor. Up to now it's been by small cw hf trx's and long wire antennas. Should be down that way again for my summer exploits.

Cris
    M0KKA

• Kam All mode TNC - AGWPE - UISS   35 weeks 12 hours ago

Hi

There is no need to use separate tnc when using UISS.
    It is recommended to use Soundmodem with UISS and comes packaged together which uses the pc soundcard and is easy to setup and is much better for weaker signals.
    Make a search of this site for Soundmodem and there is plenty of information already posted.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 12 hours ago

Hi Cris

The THD72 appears to be working for you now. You can also pre-edit User Phrases into memory to use in conjunction with the funtion button to paste messages to a callsign shown in Station List.
    I'm just behind you with 28 years in the hobby mostly on the data modes. I use to like the RTTY and Amtor modes when it was popular in it's day as well as conventional packet.
    As long as you can manually enter and set your gps/aprs coordinates and and can beacon should be no reason to not get digipeated by ISS and PSAT with the Yaesu. By monitoring your beaconing should help in why you are not getting digipeated as it works for local aprs packet ok.

Hoping to work ISS uhf digipeater again late evenings as it's been on night time passes.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 13 hours ago

Hi David

I have tried every combination of path for the yaesu but it just wont play. I am thinking it may be something to do.with not having a built in gps but just a hunch. I could as you say use the D72 to monitor it at some point. Would be nice toget to the bottom of why. I have a reasonable technical understanding having spent 20 + years working in mobile telecoms and done most things amature radio wise in 32 years since I was first licenced. If I remember my final year project at college was to build a RTTY modem and it worked. Still have it in the loft.

Will let you know if I ever do get the yaesu working.

See you on ISS or PSAT.

Cris

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 2 days ago

Hi

I'm sure the Yaesu can be used for the sats. It would need the ARISS in front of the WIDE1-1 statement (ARISS,WIDE1-1) for it to work. Now that you got THD72 you could hook it up to pc using soundmodem and monitor what the digi path the Yaesu is transmitting. For ISS uhf digi you can setup some memory channels using Kenwood's MCP-4A software for split operation as per Patrick https://twitter.com/WD9EWK
    Yes bird watching is fascinating and have a few bird illustrators and artist nearby who publish in the the well known books. Gambia is nice place to visit with some exotic birds, another friend of mine went last year.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for the pics. Yaesu just seem to make it a little more difficult. The VX8 works fine terrestrialy but just will not digipeat via a sat!
    Birdwatching, well my farther is a very keen bird watcher and has written / colaborated on bird guide's. Now in his mid 80's and just got back from a birding tripe to Gambia.

Cris
    M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 4 days ago

Sorry did not get your message as the sat was blocked by my house but did see it later under messages on http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat.cgi
    It was great to see your call pop up into my station list. Yes the Kenwoods 'like it says on the tin' just works without too much fuss.
    I have both the TH-D72 and TH-D74 and with the D74 it shows own callsign in station list as confirmation when digipeated unlike D72. I've been out birdwatching mostly during the days so not been on the sats very much of late.
    Hope to catch qso with you soon.

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 4 days ago

Hi

Yes just could not get the Yaesu to work no matter what I tried. Something very odd with the Yaesu and I see through a bit of research that Yaesu don't allow full access to the TNC in their radio's. Still it should have worked but in the end decided it was time for a new HT with full functionality. The d72 worked first time on a low pass and minimal settings.

I picked up a message from you today and sent you one back. Would be interested if you got my message?

Cris
    M0KKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   35 weeks 4 days ago

Hi Cris

You finally made it and got digipeated via PSAT NO-84 with digipath ARISS,WIDE1-1 as shown on http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat.cgi and got i-gated by me a couple of times.

20170318144157 : M0KKA-7]UQRYUY,PSAT,ARISS*,WIDE1-1,qAR,LA3QMA-6:`w45l RK\]73 DE M0KKA CRIS IO91=
    20170318144137 : M0KKA-7]UQRYVP,PSAT,ARISS*,WIDE1-1,qAR,G7HCE-6:`w44l sK\]73 DE M0KKA CRIS IO91=
    20170318144120 : G7HCE-7]UP4RXV,PSAT,ARISS*,qAR,LA3QMA-6:`y9'l TK\]Around Exeter IO80gr via PSAT --- TH-D74^
    20170318144109 : M0KKA-7]UQRYVP,PSAT,ARISS*,WIDE1-1,qAR,G7HCE-6:`w43l `K\]73 DE M0KKA CRIS IO91=

I see you are now using TH-D72.? I also used this path before to get shown on ariss.net. This should now get you digipeated by ISS now using same path.

• Any word on when the ISS packet will be on VHF again?   35 weeks 4 days ago

I've sent an e-mail to the NASA to know when they will switch again to VHF now that the new transceiver is onboard since last SpaceX mission. They answered me a lot of things that sound like an automatic message but nothing about the only thing that interest me : When Packet Radio will be on VHF again ? As a French radioamateur, I've planned to sent a welcome message to the French Astronaut Thomas Pesquet but he will come back to earth before they change the radio. My educational project is dead. I didn't have money to buy an azimuth and elevation rotor to follow ISS for a voice contact and even if I had the hardware, it is not simple to schedule a meeting for voice contact because we have to plan it 2 years before and match the opening time of the school and ISS path over it. A simple Packet message is more convenient for many reasons. I've been working for 2 years to be operational for my project when Thomas would be on the ISS and now that he is inside, the radio is broken... I really do not have any chance and it's annoying me a bit !

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   36 weeks 6 days ago

Hi thanks for the research and info.

I deleted the first two entries for the WIDE paths and replaced it with a single ARISS entry in slot 1 as described in the text. I then tried this on a 70 degree pass this afternoo. No joy on that pass either but I did see your call G7HCE digipeated. I will take the Elk and radio up to the downs tomorrow. Looks to be a good PSAT pass about 14.00. I can be a clear 360 degree un obstructed view of the sky from there. If that does not work then the radio must be at fault but it does digipeat terrestrialy and that just baffles me. I have seen a Video on YouTube of a guy digipeating via the ISS using the same radio on APRS so it has to work some how.

Thanks for all the help.

Cris
    MOKKA

• Problem getting digipeated via SIS and PSAT   36 weeks 6 days ago

Hi
    Yes looking at your previous post you have added ARISS to the end of the path used for local terrestrial aps packet. Have found digipeater path setting online. No mention if you can add another digi path into memory only changing the default. Follow the procedure shown below to make a new digi path setting and use ARISS on it's own for new digi path and save new setting. With this new path selected you should get digipeated with both ISS and PSAT but not be able to get digipeated on local terrestrial aprs packet. You will need to change this path again as shown below if you want to use local terrestrial aprs packet.

DIGIPEATER PATH SETTING
    The VX-8R allows you to set up to eight digipeaters for the APRS Packet Path.
    The VX-8R is preset to WIDE1-1 and WIDE2-1 digi-path to insure that your transmitted APRS Beacon is received over wide area. We recommend that you use this setting by default.
    1. Press the Menu key several times until the STATION LIST screen appears on the display.
    2. Press and hold the Menu key for one second to enter the APRS/GPS Set Mode.
    3. Rotate the DIAL knob to select Set Mode Item 15: DIGI PATH.
    4. Press the Menu key briefly to enable adjustment of this Set Mode Item.
    5. Rotate the DIAL knob to select the Pass Number (1 1 1 1 1 - 8 8 8 8 8 ) you wish to set
    6. Press the Mode key briefly to begin callsign entry into the selected path.
    7. Rotate the DIAL knob (or press the keyboard) to select the first character of the callsign (with SSID) of the digipeater.
    8. Press the Mode key to move to the next character
    9. Repeats steps 7 and 8 to program the remainder of the callsign.
    10. If you make a mistake, press the Band key to backspace the cursor, then re-enter the correct character.
    11. When you have completed your entry, press the PTT switch to save the new setting and exit to STATION LIST screen.