• ISS Fan Club Tracking s/w   11 years 13 weeks ago

Alain--
    Thanks so much for your response! The Keps are fresh on the other programs (I have a Space-track account) and update them daily.
    Currently the "globe" (in the upper left corner) is telling me that the next pass is 2 hours 50 minutes away but the tabular data is telling me I have a pass in just over an hour. VERY strange.
    I love the interface on the program much better than "Brand N" and "Brand S". Wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong. . . .

• What does everyone use to record voice?   11 years 13 weeks ago

As yet unsuccessful with making contact, I've had the good fortune to catch a few passes of voice activity... and with a quick visit to QRZ.com I located some of the folks whose QSOs I captured and e-mailed them an MP3 of their contact downlink audio.

All I'm using is a simple Sony handheld cassette recorder... regular size audio cassettes, and a tape speed control, etc. Basic sort of gadget you'd pack in your school bag to capture the points of class lectures that put you to sleep!

While old fashioned (compared to new digital recorders), this cassette recorder works nicely and has a very helpful feature: an external microphone jack. On-the-unit microphones are horrible because most times they record all the noise from the cassette motor-drive, not to mention holding the recorder is a bit troublesome. Sony sells a cute little tie-clip style microphone for recorders such as the one I have. I simply slide the tie clip under the back of the HT speaker-mic clip (just swivel/spin the mic clip to the best position you find for the mic.) Find something on the receiver prior to the pass to allow setting your speaker volume, thereby avoiding distortion on the recording.

If you have to purchase something new, I'd go digital. But if you have a lecture/meeting style cassette recorder still lying about and it has a mic jack... you're in business the poor man's way! Use Chrome (CrO2) tape for best results/tape life if the unit permits.

Oh yeah... it's also easy to feed the audio back into your sound card when you get back home. Cassette recorder headphone plug out to the soundcard in... presto -- ready to MP3 and e-mail!

Hope that helps those who are also "light of wallet."
    73!

Dave
    KB8TZX

• need a few "voice contact" basics confirmed please   11 years 13 weeks ago

The ISS does have a crossband repeater mode that occassional is activated. The uplink is 437.80 and downlink is (you guessed it!) 145.80. That mode does allow for one to hear themseleves and others on the ground talking through the ISS.

Kenneth - N5VHO

• Have you seen the ISS with your naked eyes??   11 years 13 weeks ago

The first time I saw the ISS I was camping at about 8500 feet with a bunch of astonomers who pointed it out. Very Cool in the higher altitudes.

ISS passed over just after sundown and we could see it quite nicely from Long Beach last week.

I just found this group and am interested in astronomy and studying for my FCC license. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Tony Ashlin
    Long Beach, CA

• need a few "voice contact" basics confirmed please   11 years 13 weeks ago
    [quote=N5VHO]1. If someone is talking to the ISS on the normal voice uplink, you will only hear the reply from ISS on the downlink unless you are very close to the uplinking station. [/quote] Thanks Kenneth and Cor, both very helpful and prompt replies! I had heard someone once state that they listen to the downlink while transmitting voice to ISS in order to monitor their own transmission quality, so I assumed that meant the downlink also "repeated" the uplink. Anyway, based on the info from you guys, I will try again, setting my scanner on 145.800 to record anything I may possibly get. Good luck to you both, also! Mike
  • need a few "voice contact" basics confirmed please   11 years 13 weeks ago
    [quote= Mike] • Assuming my antenna, radio, etc are set up correctly, if someone (me or anyone else) is talking to the ISS on voice, should I be able to hear both sides of the conversation on the single 145.800 frequency, or just the reply from ISS? • If I hear digital data on 145.8000, does that mean there will be no chance during that short pass duration of hearing voice contacts or of the crew using voice? • Are there any PL tones to set or just use the default 88.5? [/quote] 1. If someone is talking to the ISS on the normal voice uplink, you will only hear the reply from ISS on the downlink unless you are very close to the uplinking station. 2. If you hear digital on 145.80, then the crew cannot hear your calls. The radio only does one mode at a time. The crew can switch modes at anytime so the only way to be sure is to listen to the entire pass. 3. No PL tones are used. Most ISS downlinks are 145.80 so that is the best place to record. Good Luck Kenneth - N5VHO
  • need a few "voice contact" basics confirmed please   11 years 13 weeks ago

Hello Mike,

An astronaut can switch in 5 seconds out off the aprs/packet mode
    to voice.
    It happen often that I heard (in the past) a few minutes aprs/packet and
    then crew came in voice (in the same pass).
    I have programmed a few memory (split) channels in my transceiver to
    operate crew in voice and aprs & packet (so I can switch quick!!!).
    In case if you wanna speak RS0ISS/NA1SS in voice then it is
    wise to use a Yagi (I have mine mounted at 30 degrees elevation).

I have voice tips on my website.

73's Cor PD0RKC

• What does everyone use to record voice?   11 years 13 weeks ago

I have found that a program called Audacity (freeware) is great for ham radio operations . http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    Especially during satellite communications and WSJT communications .

73 de wb9iiv - Harry

• What does everyone use to record voice?   11 years 13 weeks ago

can you contact me again as lost ur email due to accidental delete.
    regarding recording software i was going to send to u.
    thanku
    graeme MM5ISS

• My first ISS packet radio recepcion.   11 years 13 weeks ago

SALUDOS POR LA RECEPCION DE ISS.
    MAURICIO BERALDO PY4MAB
    BRAZIL

• How active was Bill McArthur?   11 years 13 weeks ago

WILLIAM MACARTHUR TALK WITH A LOT HAM'S OVER BRAZIL AND SOUTH AMERICA. I TALK WITH HIM 5 TIMES AND ASK ABOUT MANY DIFERENT QUESTIONS. WHEN IS POSSIBLE I'M WAITING FOR ISS SIGNAL'S OVER HERE. ALL PASSES BILL TALK, CQ CQ SOUTH AMERICA THIS IS NA1SS.

THANK'S FOR KENNETH AND ARISS.

MAURICIO BERALDO PY4MAB
    BRAZIL
    GG68RE

• Successful Contact with NA1SS   11 years 13 weeks ago

WoW! well done by S21RB.
    ------RATUL-S21RA,
    www.geocities.com/ratulkhan

• ISS Fan Club Tracking s/w   11 years 13 weeks ago

One other site that you could use is the AMSAT web site:

Select ISS, put in your latitude and longitude (elevation in meters would also help, but not mandatory), and it will show the track for the next 10 to 50 passes. There is also an option once you see the pass prediction times where the ISS is shown on a world map. It gets updated very regularly, and is another way to confirm what you see here or in other programs.

Good luck!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK - Phoenix, Arizona USA

• ISS Fan Club Tracking s/w   11 years 13 weeks ago

Blexcroid,

just make sure you are using fresh keplerian elements on the other programs you use.

Alain
    IZ6BYY/WW3WW
    Iss Fan Club Staff

• My first ISS packet radio recepcion.   11 years 13 weeks ago

Hello Blexcroid. I´m not a ham radio operator yet. I´m waiting the next test to receive the callsign. I´m using a scanner radio to listen the ISS and other satellites like AO-51, VO-52, etc.

With my new antenna I have more posibilities to receive better signal from space. Days before I was using a simple 2-meter dipole with no signal received.

In one hour and some minutes more I have another opportunity with high angle pass over Spain.

Christian Castillo
    40º 26´47" N
    03º 35´57" W
    RX: Yupiteru MVT-7100
    Antenna: Homebrew Arrow VHF-UHF
    Software: UISS and AGWPE

• My first ISS packet radio recepcion.   11 years 13 weeks ago

Nice job!! It's so rewarding to hear your first stations on a homebrew antenna, much less via the ISS.
    What radio are you using? If it's a TH-D7, then queue up a message to be sent and on your next decent ISS pass, take one of the stations you hear and input their call & QSO to them. N5VHO (Kenneth) is one of the masters at QSOs via ISS and always is ready with assistance for any ham that needs it.
    Good luck on your first QSO to or via the ISS!

• Space Station Audio   11 years 13 weeks ago
    [quote=Amm1UK]I hope this is just a blip. Tried to log into the [b]Space Station Audio[/b] today (12.46 UTC) and the Real Player message comes up stating that the "Requested File Is Not Found...The Link May Be Outdated" The Nasa TV still seems to be ok. [/quote] [b]Further to my post above, the Space Station Audio on the above link is back on-line.[/b]
  • ISS repeater back? (and random thoughts)   11 years 13 weeks ago

Hello KB8TZX,

For newbies I have written (in the past) an easy operation manual
    to work the ISS crew in voice:

I also used this info for NA1SS DXCC campaign e-mails, and
    it helped a lot newbies makeing their first QSO with NA1SS!

For ISS aprs & packet software (freqs) you can go to:
    http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl (click on the red ISS button).

I know many wants the ISS X repeater back, but a lot people
    forget that PCSAT2 is still operational on ISS, if the ISS
    repeater is on, than PCSAT2 has interference!!!
    It's nessesary to keep PCSAT2 on for telemetry data!

73's Cor PD0RKC

• Add one more country to Bill's count...   11 years 13 weeks ago

A local ham friend of mine, Jim KF7E, also posted on here that Bill worked S9SS on Sao Tome. He's still plugging away with the radio.....

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK

• NA1SS DXCC Campaign   11 years 13 weeks ago

After enliisting A35RK and seeing his successful efforts, now can happily add that as of about 15:25Z today 26/2/06, Charles, S9SS, had a good QSO with Bill. Charles made it with 2 watts from an HT and a hastily made hand-held yagi. A great job in the best tradition of Amateur radio!

Am hoping a couple more friends I have also enlisted will soon be giving NA1SS 2 or 3 more new ones.

Great job Bill, and congrats to all the many helpers on the side and to the Amateurs making these QSOs possible.

Jim, KF7E

• How much would you pay to stay a week in space?   11 years 13 weeks ago

It's my big dream to stay a week in space!!!I will do everythink for this... Is this possible? :)

• How active was Bill McArthur?   11 years 13 weeks ago

Whilst many astronauts have "worked" the ham radio equipment, it seems Bill McArthur found that "playing" with it is relaxing. Not only did it provide him the crucial link to other humans here on Earth, it provided him an enjoyable challenge to fill his off-work time. Bill's quest for DXCC has taken ARISS to a whole new level for himself and for Hams around the world. I only hope that I will have the opportunity to work him before he returns. Thanks Bill!

• ISS repeater back? (and random thoughts)   11 years 13 weeks ago
    [quote=] I just thought it would be a nice idea to have the basic ideas collected in one spot so that newbies like me can "figure out which way is up" and then head to forums with more detailed questions (along with stories of what they're trying and their successes!) [/quote] Dave, that is nice idea. Expect something like that to be present on this site in the next future. Thanks for the suggestion. 73's
  • Packet and APRS recieving from ISS   11 years 13 weeks ago

You can try downloading and installing the SV2AGW packet engine program, which uses the sound card in your PC to decode the audio. Additionally, download the AGWTracker program to decode the APRS packets.

You'll need an audio cable to adapt the speaker output from your radio into the mike input on your PC. You'll probably need an attenuating cable. Because I transmit into a radio, I use the Tigertronics Signalink SL/1+ interface which both receives and sends.

If you want a more advanced setup, you'll need a TNC (Terminal Node Controller) to interface between the scanner and your PC, plus software such as WinAPRS.

• Add one more country to Bill's count...   11 years 13 weeks ago

I saw a report on AMSAT-BB from Thailand that Bill worked an XV station in Vietnam on Saturday (Feb 25). I make the current count at 109.

Kenneth - N5VHO