• [Video] New UHF ISS Digipeater!   1 year 2 weeks ago

Hi Danny!

Yes, the ISS packet digipeater has been active on 437.550 MHz. You will have to compensate for Doppler on transmit and receive. For many using channelized radios, a group of 5 memory channels will allow for this. I have been doing this on my TH-D72 and TH-D74 HTs, and many others have been doing the same thing for the past couple of months.

The frequency chart I have been using is available from AMSAT at:

Or you can see it on my @WD9EWK Twitter feed:

What radio and antenna are you using? Many who used vertical antennas for the ISS on 145.825 MHz may not work so well for 437.550 MHz, especially if that vertical antenna has lots of gain. Antenna polarization seems to be more important on 70cm that it was on 2m, even for those using handheld Yagis or log periodic antennas.

BTW I think I worked you on 20m RTTY back in 2000. I used WD9EWK/7 on HF digital modes back then, and received an LOTW confirmation for that QSO.

Happy 2017, and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    Twitter: @WD9EWK

• [Video] New UHF ISS Digipeater!   1 year 2 weeks ago

Hi all

Happy New Year !

I'm a newbie in ISS packet receiving, so new tjat I even have not recieved any packet signal (437.550)
    Is ISS active those days ?

I installed Soundmodem and UISSv5.4 on my PC and have been monitoring during the EU passes .... so far nothing ....

73 Danny ON4VT.be

• ISS Radio Report 42278   1 year 2 weeks ago

My reception of astronaut Thomas Pesquet OR4ISS and Primary School Georges Wallers in Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, France https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_0SHjNi40

• 31 December contact to school in Saint Amand - France !   1 year 3 weeks ago

Another vidéo by F5PMR on JN02IU

Thanks to sharing

• 31 December contact to school in Saint Amand - France !   1 year 3 weeks ago

Managed to receive transmission from Malta

• ISS Radio Report 42248   1 year 3 weeks ago

11H31 UTC
    Heard contact with French school Georges Wallers and l’IME Léonce Malécot of Saint-Amand-Les-Eaux.
    Strong signal on JN02IU SW France

73's Jean-Pierre de F5PMR

• Radio in USOS/RS?   1 year 3 weeks ago

As mentioned by Mark, KK6OTJ ISS APRS digipeater is now active on UHF Ericsson HT 437.550Mhz and PSAT (NO-84) cubesat APRS digipeater is currently active on 145.825Mhz

Happy New Year to you

• Radio in USOS/RS?   1 year 3 weeks ago

The current packet radio is an another Ericsson HT. It is a UHF version of the VHF radio that stopped working in October, the frequency is 437.550 MHz. The current radio was already on board & stowed, when the VHF Ericsson went down the crew simply swapped it out for the UHF one.

Happy Holidays!

de Mark, KK6OTJ

• [Video] New UHF ISS Digipeater!   1 year 4 weeks ago

Jorgen,

I think we all would like that, but you will have to be patient. It will be a little while before a radio with VHF is taken up to the ISS for the Columbus module. Until then, it is possible to work the 70cm digipeater. Seems like more are doing this here in North America than in Europe.

Good luck, and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
    Twitter: @WD9EWK

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 4 weeks ago

My recording of ARISS school contact using new TH-D74E HT with microSD + Arrow-2 146/437-10WPB Antenna
    20161221121056 : G7HCE]APRS,RS0ISS*,qAR,G7HCE-10::NWS :OR4ISS via IK1SLD school contact next pass 145.800Mhz

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 4 weeks ago
    My x-quad antenna is configured for fixed cirular polarisation. I think, the antenna on ISS are designed for linear polarisation. Maybe it is better, to remove the phasing harness and to switch to horizontal or vertical polarization manually by using a coax relay. At the moment i can not try a higher elevation, because of the long VHF 9ele-Yagi above the x-xquad. I will change the antennas in spring. UISS on my PC is not working because the TCP-Port 8000 is occupied by system-process svchost. I checked the system for malware, but the scanner hadn't found anything. Although i changed de port in the .ini-File the programm freezes in the start procedure. For UHF operation i can only use an ICOM mobile transceiver IC-2725. Unfourtunately i can set the frequency only in 5 kHz-steps. I have stored five frequency-pairs in the memory. Sorry for my bad englisch.
  • [Video] New UHF ISS Digipeater!   1 year 4 weeks ago

I only have one Christmas wish this year and its to get ISS back on 145.825 MHz please please Santa

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 4 weeks ago

Have managed to gate you a few times but still unable to qso with you by the time I get your beacons as iss is nearer my qth and don't hear me. When the weather gets a bit better and stops raining will try with the arrow 2/70 portable again and see if the high overhead passes are any better. What sort of problem are you experiencing with UISS as I run this on i7 laptop windows 10 64bit and older Pentium laptop win 7 32bit without any issues. I normally use APRSIS32 for I-gate which has better mapping and runs well with Kenwood's TS-2000 + UISS + Soundmodem, TM-D710GE and TH-D72E HT (aprs 12 mode) but it don't like my new TH-D74E HT which works fine in kiss mode on UI-View (kiss 12 mode) via bluetooth.
    Have a look at the amsat thread from Patrick: http://www.amsat.org/pipermail/amsat-bb/2016-December/061578.html

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 4 weeks ago

You might try setting your elevation to a fixed level of 30 degrees. You will cover more pass opportunities in the beam width.

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 4 weeks ago
    I can also confirm that our radio operation with Space, the ISS, on UHF is more difficult than on VHF. I use an X-quad-antenna, but I have only an azimuth-rotator. The elevation is set to the fix value of 10 degrees. Strangely a transmitting contact to ISS is only successful by an elevation between 1 and 6 degrees, seldom behind that (> 6 degrees). But I can decode data packets with a higher level of elevation up to 90 degrees. Unfortunately, the program UISS on my laptop works not correct. I use UI-view and the soundmodem of UZ7HO. I will try to install an igate cause I also know that the hams have to take the initiative.
  • ISS Radio Report 42232   1 year 4 weeks ago

Mheard Stations List: 17/12/2016 * Total stations heard:3
    EA1JM-6 17/12/2016 | 18:52:26
    EA1CHG-6 17/12/2016 | 18:52:55
    EA1JM 17/12/2016 | 18:53:00

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 5 weeks ago

Hi guys,
    I can confirm that the signal is weaker than VHF. Really difficult to receive in central Italy.

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 5 weeks ago

Unfortunately I don't hear much activity on the digipeater mostly just myself since moving to uhf and stations I do hear gets i-gated by me but the system is only on during a pass when i'm there. Sometimes I hear Spanish station logged onto RS0ISS-1 pms but other than that the digipeater is quiet.
    My station is only working off a 2/70 mobile Omni antenna at this time which replaced a vhf ground plane antenna which I only put up just before the iss vhf radio failed. I only hear the iss mostly to the east of me over the Atlantic and away from Europe and at the lower passes with high altitude overhead being the worst. Other stations have posted how the signal is weak and possibly why there is less activity especially stations that use to I-gate and are now off-line unless you have higher gain tracked antennas don't see it changing much.

There is a new I-gate station IR0UGN-1 PSAT-ISS iGate: active located in Italy http://www.kwos.it which should help and perhaps others will also follow. Maybe you can register and setup your own I-gate and gate some traffic you hear. The more the better.

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 5 weeks ago

Hello F4GVO,
    I've also received it from JN18CR, but it seems to be weaker than in VHF, do you confirm ?
    Thanks.
    73's de Thibaut.

• 15 december contact to school in Pisa - ITALY   1 year 5 weeks ago

In this contact it's used the Kenwood radio in Russian module, therefore the contact is operated in VHF..

• 12 December contact to school in Toulouse France !   1 year 5 weeks ago

Audio of my reception

Thanks for sharing

Jean-Pierre de F5PMR on JN02IU

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 6 weeks ago

Also heard the same and the carrier was good signal as seen hear on 9-deg 14:34 UTC pass over Exeter. https://dl.dropbox.com/s/1tmu1xn42s863wk/SSTV%20Carrier%2009-12-2016%201...
    Yesterday only one pass with sstv and finished early. Guess there must be some issues and digipeater appears to be off/on 437.525 from yesterdays ARISS shool contact frequency but very weak packet signal. Hope sstv comes back again soon.

• ISS Radio Report   1 year 6 weeks ago