• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 17 weeks ago

Hi!

N5VHO said:

I should warn you that ISS is in a less than ideal orientation so that may be the biggest problem. I was able to get in with 5 watts into an arrow antenna during a 78 degree pass so ISS packet is working as of 2217 UTC on Jan 2.

And I finally got a packet through on the next pass after Kenneth's, between 2351 and 2359 UTC using 5 watts from an HT into a 2m eggbeater. I sat outside with the laptop and TNC and decided to try it out. I've got work to do, but at least the old packet stuff still works.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK

• Difficulty with last few passes   10 years 17 weeks ago

A few more details might help with a solution. Are you able to get into the local APRS network? What kind of antenna are you using? What is your packet path set to? Did you check the uplink frequency?

• SSTV   10 years 17 weeks ago

Robot 36 takes 36 seconds to transmit an image. If the image is transmitted on 2 meters, the Doppler effect would be minimal.

If the image is transmitted on 70 centimeters, then the beginning and end of the pass would have less doppler and the middle (or time of closest approach) would see the greatest effect and would require the most compensation to maintain a signal in the band pass of the receiver. The higher the pass, the greater the change in frequency vs time towards the middle of the pass.

SuitSat will be half a watt on 2 meters (145.99 MHz) so having a gain receive antenna will be your best bet. ISS SSTV will likely be on 2 meters to minimize the doppler issues.

• SSTV   10 years 17 weeks ago

Hello KD4PQF,

You talk about how bad doppler effects would be...
    Please can you explain that to me?

73's Cor PD0RKC

• Beaconing   10 years 17 weeks ago

The only color change is Green for RX and Red for TX.

• Bad news: IFC database rollback   10 years 17 weeks ago

Is that why the account that I opened in the past 24 hours "disappeared into the vast ether"? (Obviously I re-registered). I was hoping I hadn't been kicked off for asking a newbie question! :wink:
    BTW - do you have a PM or email?

• Beaconing   10 years 17 weeks ago

Thanks! I'll try it today. BTW - will I see the change in colour of the light to indicate tx (like on APRS) or is that only for voice & APRS?

• ARISS Event - 25th Asia Pacific Scout Jamboree Sat Dec 31 at 09:15 UTC   10 years 17 weeks ago
  • Beaconing   10 years 17 weeks ago

If "PACKET" is showing then you have it set up to be controlled by a computer. Press TNC 2 times and it should first turn off the TNC then the second press will activate the TNC for internal use. Your display should have the TNC and box without the word packet next to it.

Pressing BCON will then cause the radio to transmit (as long as the squelch is not open).

Audio file available on AMSAT and JK1ZRW of EchoLink conference server.

Also you can listen on http://jk1zrw.dyndns.org/25apj.html.en .

73 de Satoshi 7M3TJZ

• APRS-Winlink-Echolink MapServer   10 years 17 weeks ago

nice sites.
    Congratulations

• ISS Frequency Question   10 years 18 weeks ago

dont be surprised when you dont pass.
    Sometimes the repeater is so crowded that unless you have a kW amplifier or a EME-like antenna its just impossible to use it even if you do everything correctly.

• ISS Frequency Question   10 years 18 weeks ago

Hi kc9dgb have you tried using ham radio deluxe to correct for Doppler shift, I also have a ts-2000 and are using HRD to correct the Doppler

• Fan Club Member List   10 years 18 weeks ago

There was such a list somewhere a year or so ago.
    I used it to see the members. I don't know where
    the list was. I don't have a link to it anymore.

73 Harry

• Have both voice and packet on at the same time   10 years 18 weeks ago

Hello KI4GGH,

Packet & voice-repeater are in the
    ISS Kenwood TM-D700.
    It can only do 1 mode (not together!).
    PCSAT2 is also mounted on the ISS and
    would have QRM from the ISS repeater.
    PCSAT2 send telemetry data so it's
    importand to have on cause over a
    few months PCSAT2 goes back to earth.

73's Cor PD0RKC

• Fan Club Member List   10 years 18 weeks ago

Harry,

such list has never been on this site. The only list that you might have seen is the ISS Achievement Award.

73's

• How close is the tracking software on this website ??   10 years 18 weeks ago

Hello.
    If there are no problems the tracking is pretty accurate.
    To know when ISS will be over your place you should not use the little image in the top left corner. You sould use the "tracking" function instead.
    With that function you can get a written list of pass data that can also be printed. That data will give you the direction, elevation, distance etc. minute by minute.
    The picture is just a quick indication to show where the station is now. Its not for tracking.

73's

• ISS Frequency Question   10 years 18 weeks ago

You have the frequencies correct. Don't forget the
    Doppler. Try starting at 437.790 at the start of the pass and work up from there.

• Qso via ISS repeater   10 years 18 weeks ago

I think that the 145.800 downlink is just a bad idea and I would love to change it because during negative doppler shifts it collides with the last repeater output frequency (145.787.5).
    Anyway a number of factors that we probably ignore must be considered. I think that when ARISS selected this frequency they must have had their good reasons. (Remember that ISS must be available more or less all over the world).

• Qso via ISS repeater   10 years 18 weeks ago

I think that the frequency must be changed! I have Alinco DJ-G1 and i can only listening on UHF...

Greetings from Bulgaria!
    LZ 1 KKA

• ARISS Event - 25th Asia Pacific Scout Jamboree Sat Dec 31 at 09:15 UTC   10 years 18 weeks ago

I received the following information from member of APJ.

There will be Live broadcast during Sked contact with Bill NA1SS through the internet at http://jamboree.siamportals.com

And will use echolink conference as a gateway to broadcast. at.
    *THAILAND* node number 106446
    *AMSAT* node number 101377

Also we will feed EDU_NET and IRLP.
    Please connect EDU_NET insted of THAILAND or AMSAT.

Satoshi Yasuda 7m3tjz/ad6gz

• Who is the lady ending "XKT"?   10 years 18 weeks ago

Hello all,

I recorded the QSO with Sue talking to Bill (NA1SS).

73's Cor PD0RKC
    ISS info: http://pd0rkc.ontwikkel.nl

• Who is the lady ending "XKT"?   10 years 18 weeks ago

The lady is 2E0XJT Miss Sue and she was able to complete a QSO with Mr.Bill NA1SS in the last pass over Europe 20:35 UTC.

I agree it is always a pleasure to listen a sweet and nice voice between the QRM

73 de David EB4DEH

• Qso via ISS repeater   10 years 18 weeks ago

For Cor :)

For your information i am using HRD V3.3 and ICOM 910H.
    With my class of licens I can transmit only with 10w maximum and my antenna is an GP 98 from COMET. I know it's not a better solution to make a contact with ISS but i think if ham who already contact ISS give the chance to over ham I think it's also good spirit...
    I try to contact NA1SS and RS0ISS without sucess...

For Kenneth,

Ok I understand, i must work to get over class of licens.. :D

Toufik, F0DEI

• Qso via ISS repeater   10 years 18 weeks ago

:lol: A LOT QSO´S VIA ISS REPEATER OVER BRAZIL SOUTH AMERICA.

KENNETH, THANK YOU VERY MUCH