• Unusual Pass   9 years 52 weeks ago

It had me checking antennas at first, we had had some weather in.

I had never seen one like that before. Thanks for the VHF testing explanation, as always informative and logical. Thanks Ken
    73's
    Brian
    KC0RWZ

• Human Life on ISS   10 years 1 day ago
    Maybe this will give you some starting points for info. [url]http://www.nasaexplores.com/show2_5_8a.php?id=04-205&gl=58[/url] I found it by doing a google search on "ISS" "block radiation"
  • Human Life on ISS   10 years 1 day ago
    [quote:5cb8d347bb="N5VHO"]Hi Vural, Try this website. It has a lot of info about the ISS. [url]http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/home/index.html[/url][/quote:5cb8d347bb] Yes, I've seen the nasa site on this subject, but I need info about how they block radiation etc. Cause if I'm right radiation levels are much higher over there than on earth..... Thanks, Vural
  • Human Life on ISS   10 years 2 days ago
  • Packet Equipment Question   10 years 4 days ago

ok. last night when i connected to the iss digipeater, it showed that it received my message, i went onto the www.ariss.net, I noticed that some stations asked me where my QTH is, but it never showed up on my screen. Does anyone know what the problem could be? The TNC showed it was receiving data back to me, but nothing went to the computer.

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 6 days ago

will see how this works out for me. I also know Tom, w2co, how uses packet radio. i am normally talking to him almost every evening on simplex. he also would be a good answer. he has digipeated thru the ISS before, with his HT that has the built-in TNC.

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 1 week ago

Yes, typing the command line UNPROTO CQ VIA ARISS will configure unproto mode so that anything you type in an unconnected state will attempt to be digipeated via ISS.

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 1 week ago

ok. so in UNPROTO MODE I enter: CQ VIA ARISS?

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 1 week ago

Brandon,
    If you have any packet activity in your area, you can do some testing using the local operations to get your station set up. 144.39 usually has some activity. If you can identify a local digi, use its callsign instead of ISS and you can see if the whole operation is working.

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 1 week ago

Brandon,

I'm also new in practice via satellite, now I'm tyrying to make a contact via the ISS digipeater.
    I suggess you to make some recording when the ISS pass over your locator. Just connect your transceiver's speaker to your computer's soundcard ; Turn on your recording software and start recording until ISS dissappear , then save it.

Then you could trying to decoding the sound. You could play back the sound via your computer output speaker to your TNC input.
    By doing this (recording the sound), I think that it is more chance to succeed listen the ISS. Because it works for me. If you want some of the ISS recording sound (wav files) that I've succeed to decoding, you could ask me via email at : tw_winata@yahoo.com.
    You could see the ISS's decoding sound in the forum : "Many Question Connect To ISS".

TonyW.
    YB0EX

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 1 week ago

i have everything set-up. I am not able to recieve sigs from the ISS. I can hear the "braaaaaap" but nothing comes back to me. does anyone use PCPakRatt or any other AEA Packet software Programs?

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Tony,
    Yes, you should be able to see your own beacon via ISS. The digi performs store and retransmit so you should see something like this:
    YB0EX>CQ,RS0ISS-3*: <<UI>> :
    YBOEX TESTING ON ARISS,PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HEAR IT

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Kenneth, is it possible for me to receive my own beacon via ISS, because I set the beacon for once a minute ?
    My beacon that I would send via ARISS looks like this :
    YB0EX>BEACON,ARISS/H: <UI>:
    YBOEX TESTING ON ARISS,PLEASE REPLY IF YOU HEAR IT

What the beacon message that I should receive if it indicates me that I've succeed practice via the ISS digipeater ?

Until now, I'm not already practice sending beacon via ARISS because I'm still using my old radio (ICOM 2000). I couldn't set the dup frequency between uplink and downlink frequency become 190 KHz (for ISS : 145,800 <-> 145,990 MHz). Because my ICOM-910H radio is being repaired. I will call you as soon as I've succeed listen myself on ISS.

Thanks for your answer.

Best73,

TonyW.
    YB0EX

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Tony,
    Looks like you have the process set well now. Once every minute is more that often enough. Once every 2 minutes is suggested.

No difference between RS0ISS-3 and ARISS unless ISS packet is in one of the other digital configurations. In that case, RS0ISS-3 would not work but the ARISS alias will work on them all.

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Kenneth,

Is my step is true ?
    1. I set "UNPROTO CQ Via ARISS" in my KAMPlus
    2. Then I Set : " BEACON Every 1 (minute)"
    4. Then the KAMplus will transmit the beacon every 1 minute to ISS ?

By the way, what the different if I type UNPROTO CQ Via RS0ISS-3 ?

Thanks.

Best73,

TonyW.
    YB0EX

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago
    Kenneth, Is my step is true ? 1. I set "UNPROTO CQ Via ARISS" in my KAMPlus 2. Then I Set : " BEACON Every 1 (minute)" 3. Then I set the beacon text : "BTEXT YB0EX trying on ISS, Reply if you hear it" 4. Then the KAMplus will transmit the beacon every 1 minute to ISS ? Is the " every 1 minute " beacon is enough ? because I can't set the beacon every 1 second ? Thanks. Best73, TonyW. YB0EX[img][/img]
  • Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Tony,
    Depending on your software, you should be able to type in converse mode without connecting to a station. This is done using UNPROTO. If you set the UNPROTO command to be CQ VIA ARISS, you have set the TNC to send any unconnected packets via the ISS alias.

You could set your beacon to transmit once every 2 minutes and if you have the UNPROTO command set as described, then when the ISS hears your beacon, it will retransmit it. Same is true for any text you send when not connected to a station.

Finally, if that is proving troublesome, you can connect to RS0ISS-3 for an automated message and auto disconnect. That is all it will do but it will allow you to see if you are being heard.

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Kenneth,

You said :
    First, set UNPROTO CQ VIA ARISS (ARISS is the alias for the digipeater)
    Second, transmit a text message (do not connect).
    If ISS hears your signal, it will retransmit it and you should hear and see it on your screen.

Is that mean that I should tansmit a beacon to ISS : UNPROTO CQ VIA ARISS. How many time should I transmit the beacon ? Then, When should I transmit my message ?

I'm using TNC KAMPlus. If I don't type a command to "connect to ARISS", how can I write a message to send to ISS ?

Sorry, This is a new experience for me to practice via satellite.

Thanks for your answer.

Best73,
    YB0EX

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago
    [quote:1446d24252="TonyW"] RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> : 'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON [/quote:1446d24252] Meanings of above text in (()) [b:1446d24252] RS0ISS-3[/b:1446d24252] ((callsign of station transmitting)) [b:1446d24252] >POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE[/b:1446d24252] (( transmit path for digipeat )) [b:1446d24252] /V:[/b:1446d24252] ((not sure)) [b:1446d24252] <<UI>> :[/b:1446d24252] ((Packet header indicating an unconnectd frame, refers to entire transmitted frame)) [b:1446d24252] 'vX_1 _'/][/b:1446d24252] ((APRS mic encoding for position, not valid since no GPS unit installed)) [b:1446d24252]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON[/b:1446d24252] ((Beacon Text message)) Looks like you have the decode part down. Recordings could have degraded the signal enough so that it couldn't be decoded. I use a TNC and haven't used any of the software options for packet. Let your TNC listen some more and adjusting the volume level can make a big difference. I find many radios work best about 1/4 volume level. I think you are ready to transmit and see if you can hear yourself via ISS.
  • Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

Yesterday, I've post that I didn't succeed to decoding the sound from ISS. But today, after a rainy day, I succeeed make some recording and succeed decoding the recording using a KAMPlus TNC modem, but not succeed using mixW and AGWPE software.

Something that I wanna ask : Why not all the recording sound could be decoding into a message ? Noise effect ?

The beacon that I've succeed to decode :
    RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> :
    'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON
    Anyone could tell me the meaning of each word in the beacon mesage ?

Thanks.

TonyW
    YB0EX

• Many question connect to ISS   10 years 1 week ago

The beacon that I've succeed to decode :
    RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> :
    'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON
    Anyone could tell me the meaning of each word in the beacon mesage ?

Thanks.

TonyW
    YB0EX

• Former ISS crew member as guest speaker?   10 years 1 week ago

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

• Former ISS crew member as guest speaker?   10 years 2 weeks ago
    Here is a starting point for requesting current astronauts (Some are ISS crew). [url]http://www.nasa.gov/about/speakers/astronautappearances.html[/url] As for some of the retired ISS astronauts, I'm not sure how you would track them down. I think some have personal info on the web and that info might indicate if they do appearences or not. Good Luck,
  • Many question connect to ISS   10 years 2 weeks ago

I've succeed to record the ISS beacon,but I'm not succeed decode the beacon into a message.
    I've trying this by using my KAMPlus TNC, and also using both AGWPE and MixW software.
    But it failed !!!

Anyone could help me to decoding the beacon signnal ? (May be I could sent the recording file via email ?) Or please tell me what should I do to decode this sound ?

Thanks.

TonyW.
    YB0EX

• Packet Equipment Question   10 years 2 weeks ago

I also forgot to add that in fact I do have a 70cm cross-polorized antenna. It is set for horizontal polorization (so I can join the 432.100 SSB activity net here in Colorado). Still have yet to make a CW/SSB sat contact. I have heard the AO-51,27 on my HT and the ISS during school contacts. I have only made one contact on AO-51, but that was with my HT and rubber duck antenna that has 2.5 dB gain (I had a weak singal). I might get that handheld yagi antenna from Arrow for my FT-60R HT.