• Many question connect to ISS   9 years 49 weeks ago
    [quote:1446d24252="TonyW"] RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> : 'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON [/quote:1446d24252] Meanings of above text in (()) [b:1446d24252] RS0ISS-3[/b:1446d24252] ((callsign of station transmitting)) [b:1446d24252] >POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE[/b:1446d24252] (( transmit path for digipeat )) [b:1446d24252] /V:[/b:1446d24252] ((not sure)) [b:1446d24252] <<UI>> :[/b:1446d24252] ((Packet header indicating an unconnectd frame, refers to entire transmitted frame)) [b:1446d24252] 'vX_1 _'/][/b:1446d24252] ((APRS mic encoding for position, not valid since no GPS unit installed)) [b:1446d24252]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON[/b:1446d24252] ((Beacon Text message)) Looks like you have the decode part down. Recordings could have degraded the signal enough so that it couldn't be decoded. I use a TNC and haven't used any of the software options for packet. Let your TNC listen some more and adjusting the volume level can make a big difference. I find many radios work best about 1/4 volume level. I think you are ready to transmit and see if you can hear yourself via ISS.
  • Many question connect to ISS   9 years 49 weeks ago

Yesterday, I've post that I didn't succeed to decoding the sound from ISS. But today, after a rainy day, I succeeed make some recording and succeed decoding the recording using a KAMPlus TNC modem, but not succeed using mixW and AGWPE software.

Something that I wanna ask : Why not all the recording sound could be decoding into a message ? Noise effect ?

The beacon that I've succeed to decode :
    RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> :
    'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON
    Anyone could tell me the meaning of each word in the beacon mesage ?

Thanks.

TonyW
    YB0EX

• Many question connect to ISS   9 years 49 weeks ago

The beacon that I've succeed to decode :
    RS0ISS-3>POPPPO,SGATE,WIDE/V: <<UI>> :
    'vX_1 _'/]APRS/BBS & PACKET ON
    Anyone could tell me the meaning of each word in the beacon mesage ?

Thanks.

TonyW
    YB0EX

• Former ISS crew member as guest speaker?   9 years 49 weeks ago

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

• Former ISS crew member as guest speaker?   9 years 49 weeks ago
    Here is a starting point for requesting current astronauts (Some are ISS crew). [url]http://www.nasa.gov/about/speakers/astronautappearances.html[/url] As for some of the retired ISS astronauts, I'm not sure how you would track them down. I think some have personal info on the web and that info might indicate if they do appearences or not. Good Luck,
  • Many question connect to ISS   9 years 49 weeks ago

I've succeed to record the ISS beacon,but I'm not succeed decode the beacon into a message.
    I've trying this by using my KAMPlus TNC, and also using both AGWPE and MixW software.
    But it failed !!!

Anyone could help me to decoding the beacon signnal ? (May be I could sent the recording file via email ?) Or please tell me what should I do to decode this sound ?

Thanks.

TonyW.
    YB0EX

• Packet Equipment Question   9 years 50 weeks ago

I also forgot to add that in fact I do have a 70cm cross-polorized antenna. It is set for horizontal polorization (so I can join the 432.100 SSB activity net here in Colorado). Still have yet to make a CW/SSB sat contact. I have heard the AO-51,27 on my HT and the ISS during school contacts. I have only made one contact on AO-51, but that was with my HT and rubber duck antenna that has 2.5 dB gain (I had a weak singal). I might get that handheld yagi antenna from Arrow for my FT-60R HT.

• Packet Equipment Question   9 years 50 weeks ago
    I'm sure some of the other satellite operators will have some additional suggestions, but if you plan to work the other satellites, you might want to add a 70cm antenna into the mix since the 736 has that capability. A good source of satellite operators is on the AMSAT-BB server[url]http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb/index.html[/url] Sounds like you are off to a great start. Kenneth - N5VHO
  • Packet Equipment Question   9 years 50 weeks ago

Well, at least I have the necessary equipment. I will go and get an elevation/azimuth rotor and get some program to drive the rotors. I currently use Orbitron for terrestrial tracking. It does me good. I also want to use other sats (AO-51,AO-27,SO-50,etc.) Thanks!!!

Brandon-kc0tkb

• Packet Equipment Question   9 years 50 weeks ago

Hi Brandon,

Looks like you have all you need to work ISS. First off, I suggest you try your setup by monitoring a few passes and see what you are able to hear. Connecting to the BBS is currently unavailable so all you can do is digipeat via the ISS using the Unproto mode. To do that, set UNPROTO CQ VIA ARISS. That will allow any text you transmit to attempt to be relayed via the digipeater on ISS which has the alias ARISS. I say attempt since others are trying just like you and collisions are likely.

Regarding your antenna, a vertical may be better for starters. Having to keep up with tracking is one less thing to have to manage during a pass. If you use the beam keep in mind it is designed for terresterial communication if you mount it on a rotor without elevation capablilities. That means you will only be able to work very low passes. Another way to deal with a beam for simple satellite work is to mount the beam aimed up about 30 degrees. This will allow you to cover more of the sky and still have the directability of your signal.

Good luck with your system.

• Many question connect to ISS   9 years 50 weeks ago

Connects via the ISS are not recommended due to the excessive traffic it generates. UNPROTO operations are preferred. Connection to the BBS is okay but the BBS is currenly offline. Packet rate is 1200.

Try copying the beacon first. If you can hear that, then you know you will be able to hear yourself when you successfully digipeat.

Good Luck!

• Many question connect to ISS   9 years 50 weeks ago

Some of my partner said that I could also try on ISS by type :
    C YB0EX Via ARISS
    This command could also send me to connect myself via ARISS ?

I haven't try to copying the RS0ISS beacon text. May be in the next pass I will try this.

By the way, ISS packets is in 1200 bps ?

Thanks.

Best73,
    TonyW-YB0EX

• list if school contacts to come   9 years 50 weeks ago
    A scheduled school is announced a few days before the actual contact on the SAREX bulletin board ([url]http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/sarex/48hour/threads.html[/url]). Prior to that, a tentative list of schools is posted on the ARISS website ( [url]http://www.rac.ca/ariss/oindex.htm[/url]) but that is only a TENTATIVE list. It lists the next few schools and can change due to the availablity of crew, school and orbit.
  • Many question connect to ISS   9 years 50 weeks ago

Tony,
    I'm guessing that you don't have a local digipeater that you can practice this with so I'll try to give you some suggestions to try on ISS.

First, set UNPROTO CQ VIA ARISS (ARISS is the alias for the digipeater)

Second, transmit a text message (do not connect).

If ISS hears your signal, it will retransmit it and you should hear and see it on your screen.

Are you copying the RS0ISS Beacon text or anyone else when ISS is in view?

• ISS packet works   9 years 50 weeks ago

Tony,
    Yes, packet currently is 1200 baud using a Kenwood D-700E radio.

• ISS's BBS operate ?   9 years 50 weeks ago

Tony,
    The ISS packet beacon is on 145.80. It should be heard once a minute if you are in a remote area where no one else is digipeating.
    Yes you can track the station manually if you have a decent tracking program to tell you where to point. Using a vertical antenna will work as well excetpt for very high passes (greater than 70 degrees) when you are likely to find the null of the antenna. With your cross yagis, RHCP works best except for those very high passes when ISS appears to switch to LHCP for a bit.

The Packet BBS is currently offline so all you will be able to do at present is digipeat through ISS and receive.

• SEEING THE ISS   9 years 51 weeks ago

What is the ISS beacon frequency and what the polarization ? I need to listen the beacon to send some packet through the BBS.

• No HAM, just Amateur   9 years 51 weeks ago
  • No HAM, just Amateur   9 years 51 weeks ago

Thanks Ro!

I think I am starting to get excited about this. I looked on
    http://www.thiecom.de and found one. Thanks a Million!
    the UBC180XLT looks nice and not too pricey either.

Ray 8)

• No HAM, just Amateur   9 years 51 weeks ago

Ray, I use a uniden ubc120xlt handheld scanner and it receives the iss very well, even with the small antenna that came with the scanner. In my part of the world it sells for 149 euro's. you can find them cheaper if you buy one that doesn't receive the airband.

Hope this helps, Ro.

• new school contact   9 years 52 weeks ago

I did put a file on our russian web site with all audio from that crew. If you wanna download it , check these URLs:

- http://www.echolink.ru/downloads/WH6PM_ISSContact_20050228_1920.mp3
    - http://www.echolink.ru/downloads/WH6PM_ISSContact_20050228_1920.wav

73!! Anthony RV3DHC
    EchoLink & IRLP, Russia

• ISS digipeater works but BBS does not.   10 years 1 week ago

No GPS data device is currently attached to the Kenwood radio so it sends the initial data of 0 Lat and 0 Lon.

• ISS digipeater works but BBS does not.   10 years 1 week ago

Just set up aprs and saw the last pass at 07:40..I was wondering why I didnt see the track of ISS..In the log it shows only 0's for Lat and Log.

• iss packet pms   10 years 1 week ago
    The BBS portion of the Kenwood has stopped working. This was reported a few weeks ago. See the Jan 22 news article "Loss of RS0ISS-11..." on this site..[url]http://www.issfanclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1079&mode=&order=0&thold=0[/url]
  • School Contact Schedule   10 years 1 week ago
    Tim, Contacts for schools are normally announced a few days before the contact on the SAREX Bulletin Board [url]http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/sarex/index.html[/url] Infomation about applying for a contact is on the ARISS website [url]http://www.rac.ca/ariss/[/url] Hope this helps,