• software for windows or dos to read packet wo tnc?   10 years 6 weeks ago

Hello KB0ZUU,
    in addition to the suggestions above, you will need the AGW packet engine suite of software which was designed to work with computer soundcard cards instead of a TNC. It works up to 9600 baud with special soundcards and has no problem with the 1200 baud used by the ISS on any soundcard. It has extensive help and we are all here to help you set up, if you have any difficulties. UISS needs either a TNC or AGW to be present on your system.
    MixW2 does not need AGW, it has its own packet engine built in, although it is fairly basic in its packet functions as it caters to many different modes, MixW2 is an excellent place to learn about many comms modes.
    But May I suggest AGW and UISS.
    AGW has several components, the packet engine is the basic and most needed part for you to do what you want.
    When you go to this page, DO NOT download the 'packet engine professional' version at the top of the page, unless you want to pay first.
    Go down until you find the 'AGW packet Engine', this is the free version and works with the UISS v4.0 that PU4MAB mentions above.
    You will also need to download the drivers and any other 'bits' that you think you may need. Hence the term 'suite' of software.
    The AGW HELP file that got me going is a 1.5 MB PDF file that I can no longer locate on the internet, and for that reason, I am posting it on my own website, at the following URL.
    I have as yet, not made a link for this file on my web pages, you must click the link above.
    To download it, right mouse click it and select, save target as.
    When you have setup these software packages, try them out on local terrestrial packet stations in your area before you have a go at the Space Station.
    MixW2 may be a good place to start (easy to get going) and then move on to AGW and UISS (functionality). Whatever you choose for now, good luck.
    Cheers M8 ( for those those not used to Ozzies, M8 = Mate, M + 8(Eight)) Ozzie netspeak.
    Kevin VK3UKF

• software for windows or dos to read packet wo tnc?   10 years 6 weeks ago

:lol: http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/uiss.htm

with this softhwere you send and received packet messages.is free great.

mauricio beraldo pu4mab
    brazil 8O

• software for windows or dos to read packet wo tnc?   10 years 6 weeks ago

there are a couple of programs that i know of

one is called MixW2 it does many modes of digital communication it runs off the sound cardinterface
    such as a rig blaster this is the setup that i use works pretty good

there is also a program called Hamscope
    i think that one works as well

jeff mayfield
    ke7ace

• Why the error messages all the time ??   10 years 6 weeks ago

Oops, I forgot to log in when I posted the above, so here's a P.S.
    What about when someone has addressed mail to you, the system is not listing it.
    E.g.

System Ver 1.50 93998 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    281 399 /1438 LW6DC >VK3UKF Hello
    278 21 /1239 VK3UKF>ALL Hi
    277 399 /0819 LW6DC >ALL Hello
    276 124 B$ /0311 XE2ARF>ALL Saludos amigos Hispanos !
    271 22 /0021 F9XG >ALL w
    258 714 B$ /0021 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings from Mexico !
    93998 Bytes free
    Next message Number 282
    CMD(F/K/M/R/W/B/H/?)>

The old system used to do this quite well??
    Or is this just happening to me again, for some as yet unknown reason. :-)
    Has anyone else had a message addressed to them and it was listed as mail waiting?
    Kevin VK3UKF

• Why the error messages all the time ??   10 years 6 weeks ago

Okee dokee, I'll post this thread on the UISS forum and see what comes back, and I'll try a connect using something else like Winpack for a change.
    Regards the downlink delays, no I am not experiencing any delays at the moment, well a short half to one second delay, but that is about what it should be, PCSAT NO-44 is extremely quick, retransmitting sometimes before my system has switched back to Rx, which prevents me from seeing my echo. A few months back there were delays of up to 10 and 15 seconds before an APRS string was rebroadcast by the ISS, but at the moment, here in Oz and The Land of the Long White Cloud (New Zealand) the ISS downlink seems to be fine.
    Kevin VK3UKF

• Packet Delays assistance   10 years 6 weeks ago

During the 0140 UTC pass over Texas in the USA, a 4 minute delay was noticed before the station relayed everthing copied in that time. It took 15 seconds to transmit all it had heard.

Saw the packet beacon 2 times right at the beginning of the pass.

• ISS Packet receiver problems   10 years 6 weeks ago

Sorry, I didn't include the fact that this is happening over the US. Some pauses are longer than others. Last night I heard one for about 5 minutes.

• ISS Packet receiver problems   10 years 6 weeks ago

Fine, but its not yet clear if this happens only over Europe or also over the USA.
    I think that the uplink stations density is almost the same in both areas.

• ISS Packet receiver problems   10 years 6 weeks ago

One major drawback to the Kenwood D-700 is that when it is receiving ANY signal that breaks the squelch, the radio delays transmitting. Continuous short breaks in the squelch can cause the radio to not transmit for very long periods. Once the squelch stops breaking, the internal timer will finally permit transmission of all data buffered during that extended period.

Some possible issues are, excessive noise on the frequency, internal interference from some component inside the ISS, or failure of the squelch components. I tend to think that too many beacon stations or several station sending info too frequently could create this issue. It may very well be that it is a combination of all of the above.

I'll continue to monitor this and see what we can do to fix the problem.

Kenneth - N5VHO

• Why the error messages all the time ??   10 years 6 weeks ago

I guess it could be just at your station...if your program is inserting an extra <return> or <enter> in your initial connect request. Maybe someone else will have a helpful comment. Not sure really what is causing that.

On another topic, are you seeing any delays from downlink during your recent connects? I'm wondering if the noise issue with the squelch causing delays in relaying is most apparent over high density area or constantly present.

• Why the error messages all the time ??   10 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Kenneth,
    here is a bit of a list of recent connections with the ISS PMS going back for several months and the error messages received.
    I am using AGW and UISS v4.0.
    I have a bit of a miserable setup equipment wise.
    5/8 VHF mobile whip and a hand held radio, but look what you can do with them :-)
    All these logs are from my UISS connect logs not the UISS report logs which include all packets.
    I do not include any messages that I downloaded, messages downloaded are between the uploader and downloader, I know I have commited faux pas in the past, bad me, bad French too maybe, excuse me if so.
    I perceive msg lists as O.K. to show to the public.

Nov 07 2004
    System Ver 1.50 97850 Bytes free

Nov 05 2004
    System Ver 1.50 101620 Bytes free

Nov 03 2004
    System Ver 1.50 101620 Bytes free

Nov 02 2004
    System Ver 1.50 103682 Bytes free

Nov 01 2004
    Look who was too quick for their own good, but the error came first and the message got through?
    System Ver 1.50 104196 Bytes free
    w
    Subject:
    Hi to all amateurs
    Message:
    Hi to all, (The rest of this message has been edited out)
    /ex
    b
    Thank you for your message.

Oct 30 2004
    System Ver 1.50 105780 Bytes free

Oct 27 2004
    Yeh I know I did it again but the order is going backwards so I did this before the one above !
    Just call call me an enthusiastic dill. It didn't go through though I lost contact with the station.
    System Ver 1.50 107730 Bytes free
    W

Oct 22 2004 # 2
    System Ver 1.50 110964 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    12 126 $ /0532 VK5BOK>ALL greetings from Australia
    11 666 B$ /0118 XE2ARF>ALL Saludos ISS Fans !
    3 95 /1849 LU8YY >ALL Solicite QSL Aniersario Loncou
    2 87 B$ /1208 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings from Mexico !
    1 31 /0110 PD0RLX>ALL hello
    110964 Bytes free
    Next message Number 14

Oct 22 2004 # 1
    System Ver 1.50 110964 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    12 126 $ /0532 VK5BOK>ALL greetings from Australia
    11 666 B$ /0118 XE2ARF>ALL Saludos ISS Fans !
    3 95 /1849 LU8YY >ALL Solicite QSL Aniersario Loncou
    2 87 B$ /1208 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings from Mexico !
    1 31 /0110 PD0RLX>ALL hello
    110964 Bytes free
    Next message Number 14

Oct 02 2004
    Here is another example of mail for me but it is not listed.
    System Ver 1.50 93998 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    281 399 /1438 LW6DC >VK3UKF Hello
    278 21 /1239 VK3UKF>ALL Hi
    277 399 /0819 LW6DC >ALL Hello
    276 124 B$ /0311 XE2ARF>ALL Saludos amigos Hispanos !
    271 22 /0021 F9XG >ALL w
    258 714 B$ /0021 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings from Mexico !
    93998 Bytes free
    Next message Number 282

Sept 25 2004
    LOOK AT THIS !! NO ERROR ?????
    System Ver 1.50 94392 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    277 399 /0819 LW6DC >ALL Hello
    276 124 B$ /0311 XE2ARF>ALL Saludos amigos Hispanos !
    271 22 /0021 F9XG >ALL w
    258 714 B$ /0021 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings from Mexico !
    94392 Bytes free
    Next message Number 278

Aug 23 2004 # 2
    I downloaded a msg from XE2ARF
    System Ver 1.50 94688 Bytes free

Aug 23 2004 # 1
    System Ver 1.50 94892 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    218 67 $ /1256 PY1AT >ALL MSG
    217 35 /0635 IW2CYS>ALL CIAO DA GIANNI
    216 38 /0633 IW2CYS>ALL CIAO DA ITALY
    214 90 /0740 F9XG >ALL F9XG Http:www.shtsf.com
    213 708 B$ /0538 XE2ARF>ALL Greetings IFC's !
    211 104 /1958 LU8YY >ALL ISS en hf 14.105
    210 58 B$ /1631 XE2ARF>ALL Viva Mexico !
    209 20 /0707 F9XG >ALL Http://www.shtsf.com
    205 406 /1935 LW6DC >ALL Hello all !!

Aug 17 2004
    I think that I send before the final command prompt because I am hoping for No errors coming back.
    System Ver 1.50 98850 Bytes free
    l

Aug 07 2004
    System Ver 1.50 100048 Bytes free

Aug 05 2004
    System Ver 1.50 99480 Bytes free

Aug 03 2004
    Hi Stavros SV3CIX, I wondered where you where in my logs, I found you while doing this regards PMS errors, although I did not manage to download the message as the PMS was wiped before I got into it.
    But this is an example of mail for me but it does not get listed.
    System Ver 1.50 99742 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    156 51 P$ /2217 SV3CIX>VK3UKF Hello Kevin.!! ( ( 73s) )
    114 93 /0545 LU8YY >ALL Saludos a Todos
    107 69 /1119 HK4MKE>ALL =0607.00N/07529.00W->>> hello
    105 51 /0827 F1AHH >ALL 73 de france
    102 34 /0802 I6CGE >ALL HELLO
    101 50 /0758 F1AHH >ALL 73 from france
    99 84 /0553 LU8YY >ALL Saludos desde Neuquen Argen.
    91 141 /1214 PD0RKC>ALL Mail for BD4OS
    90 86 /1157 HK4MKE>ALL hello

July 28 2004 # 2
    System Ver 1.50 97092 Bytes free

July 28 2004 # 1
    System Ver 1.50 97096 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.

July 27 2004
    System Ver 1.50 99140 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.

July 25 2004
    System Ver 1.50 100038 Bytes free
    You have following mails waiting.

July 23 2004 # 3
    System Ver 1.50 100754 Bytes free

July 23 2004 # 2
    System Ver 1.50 100808 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    125 61 /1720 LU8YY >ALL Hello...
    122 63 /0223 LU8YY >ALL Feliz Dia del AMIGO
    121 461 B$ /2121 XE2ARF>ALL Hello MFC's IFC's
    119 102 /0846 PD0RKC>ALL http://www.issfanclub.com
    114 93 /0545 LU8YY >ALL Saludos a Todos
    107 69 /1119 HK4MKE>ALL =0607.00N/07529.00W->>> hello
    105 51 /0827 F1AHH >ALL 73 de france
    102 34 /0802 I6CGE >ALL HELLO
    101 50 /0758 F1AHH >ALL 73 from france
    99 84 /0553 LU8YY >ALL Saludos desde Neuquen Argen.
    91 141 /1214 PD0RKC>ALL Mail for BD4OS
    90 86 /1157 HK4MKE>ALL hello
    89 48 /0839 CE3TMM>ALL salaudos lw6dc
    86 197 /0209 CE3TMM>ALL saludos
    78 119 /1218 PD0RKC>ALL http://www.qsl.net/pd0rkc
    77 67 B$ /1042 EB7FME>ALL 73 DESDE HUESCAR (GRANADA) SP
    100808 Bytes free
    Next message Number 133

July 23 2004 # 1
    System Ver 1.50 100808 Bytes free
    l
    Msg# Size TS Date Time From To @ BBS Subject
    125 61 /1720 LU8YY >ALL Hello...
    122 63 /0223 LU8YY >ALL Feliz Dia del AMIGO
    121 461 B$ /2121 XE2ARF>ALL Hello MFC's IFC's
    119 102 /0846 PD0RKC>ALL http://www.issfanclub.com
    114 93 /0545 LU8YY >ALL Saludos a Todos
    107 69 /1119 HK4MKE>ALL =0607.00N/07529.00W->>> hello
    105 51 /0827 F1AHH >ALL 73 de france
    102 34 /0802 I6CGE >ALL HELLO
    101 50 /0758 F1AHH >ALL 73 from france
    99 84 /0553 LU8YY >ALL Saludos desde Neuquen Argen.
    91 141 /1214 PD0RKC>ALL Mail for BD4OS
    90 86 /1157 HK4MKE>ALL hello
    89 48 /0839 CE3TMM>ALL salaudos lw6dc
    86 197 /0209 CE3TMM>ALL saludos
    78 119 /1218 PD0RKC>ALL http://www.qsl.net/pd0rkc
    77 67 B$ /1042 EB7FME>ALL 73 DESDE HUESCAR (GRANADA) SP
    100808 Bytes free
    Next message Number 133
    CMD(F/K/M/R/W/B/H/?)>

Well that's the lot since I backed up my Hard Disk Drive and cleared the space. Lots of error messages at my end and it beats me as to why you have not seen such a stramash (Scottish word for a bit of a disaster)

If any one else has connected to the ISS PMS and had these [ERROR] messages pop up in between command prompts just after logging into the Space Station, please post a message here so I do not get paranoid or go silly, it can't be just at my station in the whole world.
    Can it?
    Thanks again,
    Kevin VK3UKF

• BIG msg list fm OZ nov 07 2004   10 years 6 weeks ago

:D THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I NEVER SEE THAT BEFORE.
    MAURICIO BERALDO PU4MAB
    BRAZIL
    GOD BLESS

• voice on the iss returning?   10 years 7 weeks ago

Yes, if ISS is to have multiple operations at the same time, we will need to have mulitiple downlink frequencies. That is the problem that I am faced with. Where can I put all these uplink/downlink frequencies without clobbering any terresterial operations or intefering with other satellite ops.

Obviously, some other bands (like 430 alread has) will have to be incorporated but to further complicate matters, only specific portions of the amateur radio spectrum are authorized world wide for space communications.

Till I get this figured out and implemented (it's going to be awhile), the flip flop approach between modes is all I have to work with.

• voice on the iss returning?   10 years 7 weeks ago

i see you are , " general operations and troubleshooting" so i guess i answered my own question LOL

• voice on the iss returning?   10 years 7 weeks ago

if they run Packet and Voice ( at the same time ) wouldnt one of them have to switch the downlink frequency? (145.800)

i personally found it exciting to listen to the Repeater mode weeks ago, although i dont currently have 440 at home or in the car it is on my x-mas list..

Do you decide what is run on the ISS ?( as far as HAM radio goes) what times and what modes?

• ISS Dx?   10 years 7 weeks ago

Thats called a Sub-horizon contact.
    I have tried many times but never went below 2-3 Degrees.

• voice on the iss returning?   10 years 7 weeks ago

The first school contact is currently being planned for the third week in November. Since we have a new (and recently licensed) crewmember on board, it will be a while before I know what his interest level is.
    At this point, it is too early to tell when or if he will be active on voice for general contacts. The repeater mode probably won't be activated for a while since testing is now complete (plus a few bonus activations thanks to Mike Fincke). My focus now is to develop a plan for simultaneous operations of multiple modes. This should allow for repeater and packet operations at the same time.

• Why the error messages all the time ??   10 years 7 weeks ago

Hi Kevin,
    I haven't seen this particular problem though I have seen a few error messages displayed. Usually it is related to a bad command being issued like trying to do a (S)end instead of a (W)rite to create a message.

Is this what you are presented with when you first log on?

• BBS n packet help   10 years 7 weeks ago

Hi Jim,
    please check your email for my reply to your request, if you reckon it was worthwhile reading you may post it here to help others, as we all learn from each other.
    Cheers mate, Kevin VK3UKF

• Amazing!!!   10 years 7 weeks ago

i also saw a pass when the 2 were side by side crossing the sky , i think it was on christmas a few years ago , i got the hole family out side to watch ,,, good stuff , also a few years back i was in New Zealand and i was crossing the Cook Straights on the feary boat at night and the iss and shuttle pass over head ,,that was great fun ,!

• ISS Repeater Status by Kenneth N5VHO   10 years 8 weeks ago

As an update, ISS went active the next day. Check the current status on the ISS fan club home page.
    Kenneth - N5VHO

• ISS model builder needs help!   10 years 8 weeks ago
    [quote:9e89673ac4="FlyGuy"]:? I'm confused and have three questions: 1. Is there a Node Three, or is the hab module directly attached to Unity? 2. Will the Hab module be inflatable or conventional? 3. Will the X-38 CRV project be followed through with? Up-to-date answers, please! - FlyGuy :?[/quote:9e89673ac4] to 1.: Look at this site: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/62847main_ISS_config_072304.pdf Node 3 will built in Italy. The Cupola, which is now in a processing facility at the Cape, will be attached to Node 3 ! Greatings, Heri from Cologne
  • Packet Online.??   10 years 8 weeks ago

Leroy was able to check the radio before he got busy with his work day and fixed the problem. Thank you Leroy for getting the radio up and running.

• Packet Online.??   10 years 8 weeks ago

packet is active here USA as of 238am CDT october 27, 2004 :lol:

• digi-peater schedule?   10 years 8 weeks ago

The digipeater on the ISS is currently not working properly. I am investigating the problem but can not give you any precise time as to when it will be back on at this time. I hope to have crew time available in the next couple of days to try and resolve the problem and return the radio back to packet operation.